[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - bylaws changes

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Sat Sep 17 04:07:37 UTC 2016

> On 16 Sep 2016, at 19:54, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:
>
> I've taken a look at the suggested outcome (The proposed amendments) and
> generally I believe the suggested amendments to be very
> acceptable. Thank you for taking the time and doing this Alan.
>
> My only disappointment is the outcome regarding the non-voting status of
> Associate Members, whom I strongly feel should be allowed to vote (in a
> similar manner as resource members) from their first anniversary onwards.

Yes, some people do want Associate Members to be allowed to vote, possibly after a time delay.  However, my sense of the overall discussion is that most people think that (a) Associate members should not vote, and (b) the Bylaws already say that they cannot vote, elthough the wording may be confusing.

In this round, I want to propose changes that both improve AFRINIC’s accountability, and have a high probablility of passing the 75% majority vote, so I am proposing to clarify the wording around what most people already think is the case that Associate Members cannot vote.

Alan Barrett