[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Accountability assessment - bylaws changes

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Wed Sep 21 07:47:50 UTC 2016

This is what I see -

- CEO alone (an interested party) essentially doing the accountability
review if he is collating and interpreting the online comment
- claims of off-list inputs which should just never happen unless under
clear and communicated procedure

I have worked with other non-profits and observed many.  The most common
way for non-profits to do a bylaws review is a committee composed of folks
who represent a full cross-section of the community.

-Omo

On 21 September 2016 at 09:01, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I do have a few comments as an individual and resource member:
>
> 1. What I understand staff is doing at the moment is trying to get the
> community's views on the possible changes to the bylaw as reflected in the
> document shared which I expect would have been what the committee would do
> as well. I would be strongly opposed to a committee that doesn't engage the
> community in a manner currently done.
>
> 2. A few number of comments has been made indicating addition of new
> changes to the list presented by staff and I expect that those will be
> included as well.
>
> 3. Where consensus comes in here is to determine whether a particular
> modification to the bylaw should even be presented on the floor in the
> first place. This stage gives opportunity for the community who don't fall
> within the "registered and resource members" category to raise their views
> and hopefully it would convince those who have the approval rights(as per
> current bylaw) to nod.
>
> 4. At the meeting, I expect that each changes proposed would be presented
> as a septate package and not as a whole. However, in other to maximise our
> time at the meeting, it may be good for those that seem to have
> overwhelming community view against not to be presented(i.e those without
> consensus). Nevertheless, if there are some part of the community who feel
> strongly to include it then i think it should be included as such inclusion
> doesn't imply approval afterall
>
> Regards
> Sent from my LG G4
> Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>
> On 21 Sep 2016 5:09 a.m., "Andrew Alston" <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ➢ Not sure.  We did a bylaws review in 2012 and the approach did work
>> smoothly
>>
>> You are correct Alain, we did.  Except – well, somethings changed – the
>> bylaws.
>>
>> Under the *current* bylaws, you can’t do a review and change them without
>> a super majority vote.  Under the old bylaws, well, I can’t remember
>> exactly what they said, but I can tell you quite categorically that there
>> was no super majority vote to bring the current ones into existence – I
>> hope I am correct in saying, this was because it wasn’t required under
>> those bylaws not that it was simply neglected.  I know for a fact though
>> that such a vote did not occur – because such a vote requires notice issued
>> to the community under specific time frames in the context of a members
>> meeting, and all the voting mechanisms that are needed to hold such a vote.
>>
>> So – what worked to change the old bylaws, is not relevant under the
>> legal constraints we committed ourselves to the day the current bylaws took
>> effect.  Under the change you reference, a committee could get together,
>> gather ideas, formulate them into a new draft, propose it, and consensus
> [...]

Omo Oaiya
CTO/Directeur Technique, WACREN
Mobile: +234 808 888 1571 , +221 784 305 224
Skype: kodion
http://www.wacren.net