[Community-Discuss] IPv4 depletion in AFRINIC will speed up IPv6 adoption - myth or fact?

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Sat Oct 29 09:46:41 UTC 2016

On 28 October 2016 at 18:25, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
wrote:

> And while you sit and advocate for preservation of IPv4 space, will you
> lead by example and return the 75% of space your own organisation has had
> for 6 years and has never announced?
>

> I can provide the prefix if you like, and the BGP Play data to back it up.
>

> Or are you advocating its ok to stop others getting space to preserve it
> while you yourself sit on space that is in clear and total violation of the
> Ipv4 allocation policies?

No I am not advocating that. I find your new interest in adhering to
policies encouraging.

Why stop at my word or interpretation of incomplete information you don't
understand?

I will submit to a review of any allocations related to me by AFRINIC at
any time.

I have expressed emphatic support of the Internet Number Resources Audit
policy proposal which also covers IPv6 and ASNs - http://www.afrinic.net/
community/policy-development/policy-proposals/1827-
internet-number-resources-review-by-afrinic

I recall that you were the first to object on grounds that resemble your
current line of inquiry.

> I will strongly oppose this policy – it is impractical, unenforceable and
> hugely open to abuse.  Organisation X doesn’t like Organisation Y,
> Organisation X goes to AfriNIC and goes “omg I think someone is not using
> their space properly”, Organisation Y is now under audit and wasting
> valuable time and effort when its entirely possible their space usage is
> entirely legitimate. -  https://lists.afrinic.net/
> pipermail/rpd/2016/005466.html

Are you now able to see that the proposal is useful and why we should all
support in passing it through quickly?

--
Omo Oaiya
CTO/Directeur Technique, WACREN