[Community-Discuss] IPv4 depletion in AFRINIC will speed up IPv6 adoption - myth or fact?

Honest Ornella GANKPA honest1989 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:34:37 UTC 2016

Hi All,

The study in the LACNIC presentation had 2 questions

Where are we across the globe with IPv6 adoption?
 - Is IPv6 deployed uniformly?
 - Is there a rich country/poor country divide?

What can IPv6 adoption numbers tell us about IPv6 as a replacement for
IPv4? - How to best measure IPv6 adoption? Penetration or usage? How do
they differ?
- Are we there yet? (As in, can we retire IPv4?)

The study concludes that IPv6 is not a viable replacement for IPv4, that
there is some positive news (6 countries in the world have 20+% penetration
and bandwidth) and that IPv4 will be relevant for a very long time.

It also correlates higher GDP with IPv6 uptake. There is no data which
shows that IPv4 depletion accelerates IPv6 deployment. In fact there is
actually evidence that the more resources (financial, human resources,
infrastructures etc..) you have, the more likely one organisation / country
has high penetration of IPv6. And even in those cases, most of these
countries with high GDP have limited IPv6 penetration. Canada for example,
a top 50 country of GDP per Capita has only 9,5% penetration (usage 5.5%)
rate however ARIN has been in softlanding since 2007. Should we conclude
that they were lazy or that depletion alone cannot be the only motivation
for IPv6 deployment?

African ISPs have less means and resources than those in these countries.
However we do have the advantage of remaining IPv4 ressources and in my
opinion, we should use them carefully and wisely. Those resources allows us
a breating room to plan for capacity building and v6 deployment. It might
be slow but eventually we will get there. IPv4 depletion has not
accelerated IPv4 deployment in richer countries, I do not believe
accelerating depletion will accelerate it either in Africa.

IPv6 is inevitable and I believe we all agree on that. But how our
continent and internet players go about it is also crucial and it will be
good if we find a solution that will benefit us all

Honest Ornella GANKPA