[Community-Discuss] IPv4 depletion in AFRINIC will speed up IPv6 adoption - myth or fact?

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Fri Oct 28 09:51:21 UTC 2016

Owen,

This is now a distraction and the tangential discussions bound to make this
confusing for some so I will conclude.

- We know global regions where IPv4 is exhausted
- We know that secondary markets have sprung up to make IPv4 more available
- We know the rate of IPv6 penetration in those regions - generally low
- Now we have data that shows that IPv6 penetration is not necessarily IPv6
usage and is generally less than reported.

You don't support accelerated depletion of IPv4
You don't have any data to support opinion that IPv4 depletion correlates
with IPv6 uptake

Hint: 4 mobile companies and netflix is not the entire internet ...not even
in the US.

I just needed to make this clear now that we have the attention of the
community and co-chairs on how to proceed with the PDP

On 28 October 2016 at 10:12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2016, at 1:28 AM, Omo Oaiya <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:
>

> On 28 October 2016 at 09:01, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.
> com> wrote:
>
>> Ø  Like others,  I would like to see widespread v6 adoption but we do
>> need to be careful to explain the stats we provide especially for those who
>> advocate to other stakeholders.
>>

>> I 100% agree…
>>

> Great
>

>> and this is why I asked if it could be explained to me how the
>> correlation between v4 depletion and v6 depletion was drawn from a
>> presentation that refers entirely to GDP correlation on v6 deployment,
>> because I honestly don’t understand that correlation.
>>

> I don't know where you got this from.   Honest's point is that there is NO
> correlation between IPv4 depletion and IPv6 uptake i.e that you and Owen
> have opinions that are not supported by evidence or data
>

> You guys are talking across each other.
>
> Honest’s point may be that, but the presentation he referenced doesn’t say
> what Honest said.
>
> It says that there is a correlation between GDP and IPv6 uptake, but that
> there are pretty glaring anomalies even in that conclusion.
>
> Andrew is wondering how you equate a correlation in GDP to somehow meaning
> a lack of correlation in IPv4 depletion. The presentation provided no
> evidence of any such lack of correlation.
>

>> Sadly, I’ve heard deafening silence since then, and it seems that
>> question is going unanswered.
>>

> Perhaps because she was bemused at the lack of understanding?
>

> If there is a lack of understanding, then it is among you and Honest
> because the presentation referenced by Honest does not say what you are now
> claiming it says.
>
> As someone from academia, Omo I am sure you agree with me that any
>> conclusions drawn from a dataset need to be explained by the individual
>> drawing the concerns in order for any weight to be applied to them?
>>

> No I don't. She provided an interpretation of the dataset which she argues
> is at odds with your opinions.  From what I can see, she is correct.
>

> Which she are we referring to here? The one who gave the presentation at
> LACNIC?
>
> If that is the case, then her conclusion is orthogonal to what we have
> said about IPv4 depletion. Her conclusion is that there is a correlation
> between gross domestic product per capita and IPv6 uptake. In other words,
> the wealthiest nations are more likely to be early adopters of technology.
>
> This isn’t exactly startling news.
>
> However, it’s completely orthogonal to the question of whether lack of
> IPv4 resources drives IPv6 adoption. Currently there isn’t a meaningful
> lack of IPv4 resources anywhere except Asia. Even in Asia, they still
> remain relatively inexpensive, though costs are rising. We are seeing
> rising IPv6 adoption rates since APNIC, RIPE, and ARIN ran out of IPv4
> [...]

Omo Oaiya
CTO/Directeur Technique, WACREN
Mobile: +234 808 888 1571 , +221 784 305 224
Skype: kodion
http://www.wacren.net