[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - quorum

Honest Ornella GANKPA honest1989 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:00:33 UTC 2016

Hello All,

Comments are inline

Honest Ornella GANKPA

> Excuses me but this discussion should be handled in a different way. It
> should be more structured for a serious matter of business at that level.
> AfriNIC does have a history and there is a reason where the limit was put
> there, why the number 5 and also why electronic voting was introduced.
>

> Having said that:
>
> (1). I do remember that Legal has always been called for advice.  Now
> Legal also disagree.
>

> (2). Where are the minutes from the previous meetings when we made those
> decisions and why are we discussing a so serious business matter affecting
> AfriNIC this way?
>

> I fully agree with Jean-Robert. The entire community (especially newer
members) would benefits from reading
those minutes of meeting. It would give everyone a clear understanding as
to why proxies limit was voted in the first place.

> (3). Now that there are under the “assumption of legal mistake” made by
> the community with the blessing of our Legal, the CEO and the Board, the
> best way would have been to conduct a due diligence process gathering all
> the facts, weighting the pros and cons including how we make sure to limit
> disagreements, what controls can be put in place etc.  Board you should
> have done that before we move further in the discussion. Then a report
> should have been presented to the community for informed decisions.

Agreed. However it is not too late. This could be a priority topic for the
governance commitee

> (4). In another world, with board members standing against a process that
> has elected them,  with the support of the CEO and legal, they should have
> step down until we reached a consensus and organize new elections.

I support this proposal as well. We either go all out to fix the process or
there is nothing to fix there (that is proxies limit) and everyone shall
move on and focus on other matters

> [...]
>>> issue – and then sees if it will get the majority that is required for the
>>> bylaw change.   Personally, having read the responses on this list – I do
>>> not see a consensus for a proxy limitation at all – so I have my personal
>>> doubts that such a bylaw change would succeed – but it is still the only
>>> way to actually rectify the problem.  (Due to the fact that for all the
>>> reasons I have stated, even if we take the act out of the picture, the
>>> current bylaw limit is in my view invalid since proxies aren’t granted to
>>> members, they are granted to individuals).
>>>

>>> Note: I personally will have zero issue if someone attempts to put a
>>> special resolution for anything on the floor – and I would encourage people
>>> who really believe that this is limit SHOULD be there to do exactly that –
>>> attempt to fix the wording in the bylaws such that there is actually a
>>> legitimate limit.  I just doubt it would pass a 75% majority based on what
>>> I have seen on this list so far – where I see absolutely no consensus for
>>> such a limit.
>>>

>>> Andrew
>>>

>>> *From: *Boubakar Barry <boubakarbarry at gmail.com>
>>> *Date: *Tuesday, 4 October 2016 at 22:44
>>> *To: *Hytham El-Nakhal <hytham at tra.gov.eg>
>>> *Cc: *"community-discuss at afrinic.net" <community-discuss at afrinic.net>
>>>

>>> *Subject: *Re: [Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - quorum
>>>

>>> In many countries, and not only in Africa, people buy votes and/or vote
>>> differently than instructed.
>>>
>>> By limiting the number of proxies one can carry, we won't eliminate this
>>> risk, but we would at least reduce it.
>>>
>>> I don't understand the logic whereby somebody trusts a third party more
>>> than him/herself? What is the electronic voting facility for?
>>>
>>> Yes, I know some will say everybody should be given the right to vote
>>> the way he/she wants (paper ballot paper onsite, electronic voting or
>>> proxy). No problem with that.
>>>
>>> But let's limit the risks by limiting the number of proxies one eligible
>>> voter can carry. There were good reasons for putting the limit.
>>>
>>> Boubakar
>>>

>>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Hytham El-Nakhal <hytham at tra.gov.eg>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Talking as a community member in my personal capacity"
>>>
>>> +1 Mark,
>>> I support the freedom for member to choose the way to cast his vote and
>>> to remove the restriction on the  total number of proxies that one member
>>> can carry (if 100 members trust one specific member so they all have equal
>>> rights to issue a proxy for him).
>>> I understand that this restriction is applied only for members who has
>>> the right to vote in the meeting as per article 12.12.viii , and not
>>> applied on non-member person who assigned as a proxy by members as per item
>>> 12.12.i & ii & vii the member is free to choose anyone as a proxy, I'm not
>>> a lawyer but just read the articles of AFRINIC bylaws.

>>> Haitham