[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Wed Nov 16 10:48:00 UTC 2016

hello,

> On Nov 15, 2016, at 9:34 AM, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:
>

>> On 14 Nov 2016, at 20:58, ALAIN AINA <aalain at trstech.net> wrote:
>>
>> i am still convinced this should be a matter of PDP, and we should discuss this in that regard. I will like to see the topic in the agenda for next PDPWG meeting.
>
> Bylaws changes are an issue for the members, while policy changes, and changes to the PDP, are an issue for the PDWG.  This cuts across both.

Nope. All, including bylaws changes are issues for the community even if  bylaws changes approval is for members and board. Bylaws shall always recognise and empower community supremacy, role and responsibility in adopting and approving policies which regulate how we managed the numbers ressources  in the public trust.

That is why the bylaws defines the PDP as below:
====
Policy Development Process:
A "bottom-up", open and transparent process, approved by the Internet Community wherein all stakeholders may participate in the creation of policies which would ensure that  the Internet Number Resources are distributed and managed in a responsible and fair manner
=====

But authorise “board" in specific circumstances to adopt policies which  “shall be” submitted to the “community” for endorsement.

Any change to bylaws  especially in this  context of  improving accountability  shall  not alter these principles.

> I think it’s fine for the PDP to define how the community uses its rights under the bylaws Article 11.5 to endorses or not endorse policies adopted by the Board under Bylaws article 11.4.

Not only how community exercises the right given by 11.5. If community thinks the section 3.6 (varying the process)of the CPM is not sufficient to handle board policy adoption. PDP shall be amended to clearly define how board can initiate policy proposals, the review mechanisms, and adoption by the board, including how community handle such policies.

Thanks

—Alain