[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Sun Nov 13 04:05:54 UTC 2016

> On 12 Nov 2016, at 21:58, Benjamin Eshun <beshun at garnet.edu.gh> wrote:
>
> The proposed 15.6 on conflict of interest states that members who disclosed conflict of interest shall recuse themselves from voting
>
> As it stands a member can participate in discussions but not vote. I think the member in conflict should recuse from both all discussions and voting on the issue.

At present, there is nothing in either the Act or the Bylaws about conflict of interest for Directors.  (There is something in the Act about conflict of interest for an auditor.)

I think that recusal from voting is important enough to be entrenched in the bylaws.  Recusal from participation in discussion is often a good idea, but it’s easy to imagine cases where it would not be a good idea (for example, the conflicted director may be able to answer questions from other directors), so I am not proposing to add that to the bylaws.

Alan Barrett