[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Nov 9 11:36:29 UTC 2016

On 09/11/2016 13:14, ALAIN AINA wrote:

>> On Nov 9, 2016, at 3:01 PM, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 9 Nov 2016, at 16:16, ALAIN AINA <aalain at trstech.net> wrote:
>>> Hmmm. Are we moving the PDPWG powers in board hands?  I do not
>>> understand the concept of deadlock in our bottom-up PDP ruled by
>>> "Rough Consensus” and not “Full Consensus".  I would expect to
>>> see all times, effort made by all parties(including board) to
>>> reach rough consensus on  adoption/rejection… and not board
>>> making decisions. Is this not a discussion for the  PDPWG ?
>>
>> The Bylaws have always given the Board the power to make policy
>> without going throgh the PDWG process.  The Board has never
>> exercised that power in the past, but the ability is there in the
>> Bylaws in case a good reason appears in the future.  We are talking
>> about reducing that power so that the Board cannot abuse it.
>
> Good Alan, but the way it was presented  does not sound same as your
> last text. But It was also proposed to just remove board adopting
> policy from bylaws and only depend on the PDP. May be an updated
> version of the PDP ?

And if the Board has never abused this PDP power (never even used it at
all) since inception yet has always had the power to do this - why then
is it really a problem?

The membership could still look for blood in other ways if necessary.

If we do have such a Bylaw (to stop potential abuse) - this would have
to be done by a membership vote - not a PDP meeting "consensus". This
might be up to 5 months away - time for lots of damage - etc.

On the other hand - if the Board decided that they needed to have an
expedited policy introduced - and they asked the Membership to vote
(electronically) on it - AFRINIC staff could probably pull that exercise
off within a working week - which should be fast enough.

The Board is not stupid, neither is the membership.

Just thoughts.

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496