[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:14:57 UTC 2016

Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On 7 Nov 2016 11:26 p.m., "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Really, if there is such overwhelming desire by the community to remove
the CEO that it reaches this threshold, do you believe it is good
governance for the board to keep such person in place?

SO: Actually if there is such overwhelming desire to fire the CEO from the
community, then it would indeed imply bad governance and the community
should fire the Board for not performing her fiduciary duties by doing the
needful (when required).

The one that hires fires and the one that elected should be empowered to
remove. Community elected the Board, Board hires the CEO. I still believe
it will be very wrong to expose Staff(CEO or other staff) to such removal
option by the community while there is still an organisation Board existing.

Regards

> Owen
>
>> On Nov 6, 2016, at 19:43 , Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Owen,
>>
>> In the interest of good governance and proper respect of process and
structure, I believe that the ability to hire and fire the CEO should
remain solely with the Board of Directors. Nevertheless, the Board could
consider providing a separate guideline(outside of the bylaw) that enables
members to express their dissatisfaction about a particular CEO's action.

>> Regards
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Should the CEO be exempt if he/she becomes sufficiently unpopular with
the membership that they are able to recall him through this process?

>>> No disrespect to the current CEO intended (and I can’t imagine such a
petition succeeding against him anyway), but I see no reason the position
should be exempt from such a challenge.

>>> Owen

needed; We don't have to formerly restrict things to that extent.

fact that registered members can change the bylaw(as per the act). Even
though I have no problem with your proposed changes.

subject to removal still has a vote. I have no problem with that, just want
to be sure that was your intent.

I hope). It will be good to explicitly exclude the CEO to be opened to such
removal process  (even though i know it's implied).

removal that could affect the work of the Board (like forming a quorum), it
may be good to clarify what would happen to the seats.

propose text, I am now proposing text.  I am also proposing a few
additional changes to address issues raised by others.  Finally, I am
proposing a change to address a problem with approving the annual financial
statements.

at the AFRINIC-25 SGMM, possibly with edits resulting from further review
and discussion.