[Community-Discuss] post ipv4 depletion frauds, brokers activities

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 27 11:36:01 UTC 2016

On 27/Jun/16 13:07, Mike Silber wrote:

> You may want to consider the Internet Draft submitted by Xiaodong Lee et al: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lee-sidr-rpki-deployment-01
>
> It may give you some insight into the concerns that are being raised as to the risks associated with RPKI and some of the implementation complexity.
>
> I think the point is that some of these tools may need some refinement and adoption can be encouraged however it does come with attendant risks.

Protocol and implementation issues can be resolved with deployment. If
no one deploys, it is hard to refine things.

In general, I agree that forcing things down people's throats is not
kosher. But from a practical standpoint, we (SEACOM) have deployed RPKI
and have helped to refine the implementation we use over the past 3
years through operational feedback to the various vendors in our network.

I understand the issues around some being concerned about the
centralized nature of the RPKI. There have been suggestions put forward
to mitigate that, in the same way we trust the centralized model of the DNS.

Mark.