[Community-Discuss] Resolution 201604.274 about Set-Up fees

Mirriam mirriamlauren at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 09:31:48 UTC 2016

    On Sunday, July 17, 2016 8:44 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>I didn’t claim it didn’t exist, I referred to it as “vaporware” which is a term often applied to a product or service >which may exist in a laboratory, but isn’t available for purchase at the time, which was exactly where AfriNIC >services were at the time I wrote those posts.
>I will admit that the word may have been inflammatory and possibly poorly chosen. I have learned in the last 13 >years. Who among us has not?
Owen,
Well, “In the computer industry, vaporware (also spelled vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled.” - Wikipedia

AFRINIC had staff, staff, a board and meetings so was real and not just an announcement.  And it is still here today.   Your reference to AfriNIC as vapourware was not only inflammatory, it was misleading in support of your argument at the time but we shall continue to move on as we did then.
MirriamChix in Tech