[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Resolution 201604.274 about Set-Up fees

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sat Jul 16 22:13:40 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:29 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hello Noah,

Hi Seun,

Remember both "end site" and LIR made same payment in their first
> allocation. For end site it's called assignment fee while for LIR it's
> called allocation fee.

The above is not TRUE. Please visit the AFRINIC website and go through
those categories and differences in fees between LIR and EU. I can assure
you that the payments made by both EU and LIR are not the same during the
first assignment/allocation.

> > PS: Please take time to review what other RIR are doing so  that you can
> understand where I am coming from.
> >

> SO: I don't know of any RIR that doesn't charge LIR allocation fee but
> charges end site assignment fee [NB]. I will appreciate a pointer.

Where are you getting that from. Anyway please check the other RIR fees
schedules, I am 100% sure you will get my point. By the way, the url's for
those other RIR are publicly accessible.

> > So this argument of staff are over whelmed by an additional request from
> an existing member doesn't hold. KPI's would dictate that it's their job.
> >

> SO: This is not me justifying my point with staff being overwhelmed, not
> at all. As you rightly said, they are doing their job. My point is that
> there is justification in charging assignment/allocation fee for any new
> allocation since staff resource is still required just like it was in the
> initial request.

What kind of justification is this. Staff are paid a monthly salary to do
their job.  It's like you are saying, after the initial requests, Staff now
goes on vacation and cant attend to any more tickets especially the old
one's who come back for more.

*Allocations and assignments are done on need base, remember that.* If at
all the point was for everyone to come and get enough and never come back
because stuff wont be available for additional request, then we would all
request what is enough and not bother coming back.

Overall, my personal view is that it is either we remove charges for
> allocation/assignment fee completely or we leave it as it is.

* We cant fix what is not broken. That was my point. *

I do not believe it will be right to charge end-site such fee and not
> charge LIR (as Noah proposed) since both involves staff resource.

They are different and they are charged differently but staff should just
play their role as they have been doing all this years. The argument that
they would be overwhelmed with additional reallocation requests doesn't
still sound rational to me.

Noah