[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Council of Elders

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Wed Jul 13 05:51:24 UTC 2016

Hi all

I have read all comments on the thread and appreciate the question.  We are all volunteers serving the community in one way or the other.

As I have always said our diversity is our strengths and I must accept I have very diverse positions most times.   I do not believe that we should always conform infact i believe if two people always have the same views one of them is not necessary in the team.  You must always be able to share diverse views to get a better outcome.

Board conveniently overlooked this issue but let's not look at just this issue. There has always been deeper issue which is the relationship between board and the COE.  I think the elephant in the room is the relationship and whether board value the need for COE which is enshrined in the bylaws.

COE is purely advisory and board does not need to take COE advise but even this advise seems to be a problem to board.  (This is my independent opinion)

This to me comes back as an issue with structure and bottom up governance.  Which I'm glad as per recent CEO email is being resolved for the next meeting.

However let me hope that continued open dialogue will help rebuild the trust that has been eroded.

We are all custodians and are expected to hand over AfriNIC to the next generations both Board and community.

Regards

Badru