[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] AFRINIC - Matters Arising

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Jul 11 18:40:18 UTC 2016

On 11/07/2016 17:35, ALAIN AINA wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> On Jul 8, 2016, at 4:10 PM, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com
>> <mailto:sfolayan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Members and the Community at large,
>>
>> Further to my email of 30th June 2016, I will like to share some thoughts:
>
> Thanks for sharing these thoughts, comments inline...
>

>> There seem to be differing interpretations of the way AFRINIC is
>> organised, the powers of the Board, the powers of the Members, the
>> powers of the Community, the bottom-up philosophy, and other related
>> matters.
>>
>> Some definitions and clarifications are appropriate, to explain the
>> Board’s understanding of the status quo.
>>
>> It is necessary to distinguish between the AFRINIC community, AFRINIC
>> membership, and AFRINIC Ltd as a company. The community includes all
>> stakeholders and beneficiaries of AFRINIC’s efforts, including
>> resources and other benefits. The membership is a subset of the
>> community.  AFRINIC Ltd is a membership-driven organisation, with a
>> company registration, bylaws, directors, and all the other things that
>> companies have.
>>
>> The phrase “Bottom-Up” refers to a philosophy and not a specific
>> process.  The bottom-up philosophy is used in the processes that we
>> use to develop policies, elect the Board, change the Bylaws, and also
>> allows members or the community at large to make suggestions or
>> participate in discussions on any relevant matter.
>
>  AFRNIC is committed to the Bottom-up Self-gorvenance model as per ICP-2
> and the IANA report on AFRINIC accreditation. So it is a  principle and
> well beyond philosophy.

ICP-2: Criteria for Establishment of New Regional Internet Registries -
(3: Bottom-up self-governance structure for setting local policies) is
reference to bottom up and *specifically* refers to the Policy Process.
In AFRINIC's case, we do that just fine.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/new-rirs-criteria-2012-02-25-en