[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Accountability assessment

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Thu Jul 7 07:07:45 UTC 2016

Thank you Noah

Speaking as a community and resource member. We need some of our elected members to be cautious on how they translate the role and responsibilities of the board.

The company belongs to the community at large under the custody of current members who then elect a board.   It should never be seen as a top down issue.

This is more reason for me to ask that we explore registering the organisation in a jurisdiction that will not work against the bottom up process or bring up room for governance confusion.  We should start dialogue with the current host to enable Afrinic get special dispensation in its registration.

Let's continue to explore additive options

Badru Ntege
CEO
NFT Consult Ltd
Www.Nftconsult.com<http://Www.Nftconsult.com>

“Vision without execution is hallucination.”
― Thomas A. Edison

On 6 Jul 2016, at 7:23 pm, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz<mailto:noah at neo.co.tz>> wrote:

On 30 Jun 2016 11:51, "Andrew Alston" <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com<mailto:Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>> wrote:

> See comments inline (once again, speaking here as a resource member)

Comments in line and speaking as a community member/netizen/internet end user,  who cares for the organization vested with the mandate of managing the most critical number resources upon which the INTERNET as we know it depends on.

> I have a major problem with consultation outside of the member base and including the wider community in what is a commercial discussion between the company and the members.

All the current resource members were community members before and some have ceased from being resource members after closer of their business and may comeback for resources in the near future.

So this is not just for those once community who have  since signed the AFRINIC RSA and hence use resources but it's for all "netizens" who reside within the AFRINIC region including those who are soon to be "resource members".

>> I’m even very much on the fence about making the fees subject to a negotiation like this, because at the end of the day there is a fiduciary duty on the directors to ensure that the company is sustainable.  If the directors have to raise fees to do that, and the community disagrees with the fee increases, this creates a legally untenable situation.

This begs the question!

Who elects the directors, do they elect themselves?

Whose interests do they serve?

What where they before they became directors?

Are they now so special now all over sudden and cant consult the same community "resource members + non" who elected them? [1]

Noah

[1]The fiduciary duty on the directors to ensure that the company is sustainable can not be realised without consulting or involving stakeholders (community) especially in matters that involve fees/monies after its our collective responsibility to ensure AFRINIC is sustainable.