[Community-Discuss] ICANN and RIRs signed SLA for IANA numbering services post transition

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 1 19:38:07 UTC 2016

> On Jul 1, 2016, at 11:26 , Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes indeed! Overall I will expect the congress would not be unaware of what they are approving.

Then your experience with US Congress is rather limited.

> FWIW, for numbers community there won't be significant change if congress stall the transition since they have always handled their accountability independent of ICANN.
>
> However it's a big deal for names community as irrespective of the transition, an ICANN 3.0 is in the making and it's good that ICANN board agreed to proceed with the non-transition dependent part of the proposal irrespective of the outcome from USG.
>
> Regards
>
> Sent from my LG G4
> Kindly excuse brevity and typos

Yes, I expect that other than making USG look really bad, congress can’t really do too much harm directly. My concern is that if congress goes back on promises made by USG once again, there may be a fracturous move to proceed with transition that gets traction in at least some part of the community and essentially declares ICANN irrelevant for the cooperating parts of the community whoever that may comprise.

This would be the worst possible outcome.

Owen