[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] AFRINIC Update 23rd November 2015

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 22:17:49 UTC 2015

Sent from my Asus Zenfone2
Kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 24 Nov 2015 22:59, "Noah" <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> Hi Seun
>
> Dont treat my response out of context.
>
> I did not respond to any specific person in particular... my subjective
frustration was a general outcry....

SO: Okay if that is the case, noted.

> I also dont even understand the catch phrase "the world is watching" ...
which world and does it care???????

SO: It does care, but care could have different meaning depending on which
part of the world we are looking at. There is a part watching and waiting
for AfriNIC to fail, there is another part of the world watching and
wondering how they can help contribute to further development of the
organisation. While both seem to care, they are ofcourse for different
intent and cause.

> We ought to sort our own issues ourselves at the end of the day going
forward.... we appreciate the past support.

SO: 100% agreed and that's why "the world is watching" also implies that
they are watching us as we resolve our issues ourselves. There are issues
no doubt and with the community contributing constructively and challenging
the organisation management positively on how to address the issues, I am
hopeful that we will get there. (Now please don't ask me where "there" is
;-) )

Regards

> Noah
>
> On 25 Nov 2015 00:18, "Seun Ojedeji" <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Noah,
>>
>> I don't think a public response like this to a community member is
appropriate. We all have our differences and we should recognise that by
accommodating one another.

>> I have participated within other RIR communities and I don't experience
such a response, the worse I get is "no response" to my comments (which by
the way can be annoying), but it doesn't mean I am not permitted to share
my view.

>> I encourage us all to remain focused on the substance in the interest of
the organisation. Like Prof Nii rightly alluded to; the world is watching.

>> Regards
>>
>> Sent from my Asus Zenfone2
>> Kindly excuse brevity and typos.
>>
>> On 24 Nov 2015 20:50, "Noah" <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some of you ought to remain either silent or as observers......
>>>
>>> some of your comments clearly ever add value....
>>>
>>> We are sick and tired....
>>>
>>> Noah

maybe to you I think we had a fact based discussion and to me ended
mutually.  Actually again to shock you I of all the dialogue I had on this
list I think the one with Andrew was clear.

what was not in the email.  I might not agree with Andrew most times but
does not mean I cannot dialogue with him.

you could not dialogue with Andrew and I would never presume to speak for
him.

opinion as a concerned member of the community.

understand why you then write on his behalf

member of the community who is tired of your repetitive attempts to rewrite
history to your own liking.

biggest problem.  One could even go as far as calling  the cancer.

Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:

> [...]
circumstances beyond my control I have been largely out of contact for the
purposes of AfriNIC business for the better part of 2 months.  It is
important to note that the terms of reference require that the audit
committee act unanimously, and this could not happen over this period,
hence certain delays, which again, I apologise for.

serve Afrinic.  We do totally understand that Afrinic is purely voluntary
and if your primary assignments have become too demanding, mechanisms of
relieving the workload do exist.  I’m sure chair is fully aware of these so
we do not have to elaborate.

are clearly attempting to lead the community to assume facts not in
evidence.

which temporarily pull them away from their volunteer duties. Andrew has
expressed this in a manner that implies the distraction was temporary in
nature and I see no reason to believe otherwise. I’m quite certain that if
Andrew faced any sort of permanent inability to fulfill his obligations, he
would act accordingly without requiring any form of encouragement from you.

into ensuring that the information that is provided to the community is
accurate and a fair representation.  I would rather such information was
provided slightly delayed than contained inaccuracies or disputed pointed,
and as a result, the work has taken a significant amount of time, due to
the care and thoroughness applied.

statement which referred to conflicting priorities.

the overall delay has been his inability to work on the matter.

well, including the need for extensive work presumably performed by other
members of the committee. Further, Andrew stated that his inability to work
on the matter only covers the last 2 months (September and October). Since
the Tunis meeting was early in June, that leaves several other months
during which even he could have been doing significant work on this.

Andrew in particular that you have failed to apply even the most basic of
logic and mathematics to your analysis of Andrew’s message.

point out that the notice of the SGMM was published on the 20th of November
2014, for an SGMM that is scheduled for the 3rd of December.  By my
calculations, 3 days would mean that the SGMM is on the 23rd of November,
so you seem to have misplaced 11 days.  Hence, while you refer to a section
in the bylaws that references ANNUAL general meetings, rather that SPECIAL
general meetings, if you choose to conflate the two (and there is reason
within the companies act why you should not do that), even under these
circumstances the timelines have been met.

in the earlier email.  However once again this is subjective based on ones
paradigm.

referenced a section of the bylaws that applies to the notice to be given
of Annual General Member Meetings. If you have a correct reference in the
bylaws that requires 14 days notice for the information from the chair in
the earlier email, please provide a corrected reference point in the
bylaws. Otherwise, please accept that you were mistaken and let’s all move
on from this point.