[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] AFRINIC Update 23rd November 2015

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Mon Nov 23 16:48:30 UTC 2015

Randy

With all due respect you are a guru at moving packets.  Allow me to even say beyond a guru at that point.  However they are some organisational issues that one needs to run a multimillion dollar entity I’m sure would not be in your domain.  In that aspect I do have the experience and the right to point out on organisational issue.  You will note I limit my technical input to the depth of my knowledge.  Lets all contribute in the sphere we have an in depth experience.

With that said please find my comments inline.

On 11/23/15, 7:10 PM, "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>>> but, as one of the folk who helped get into the current hole,
>> Another valid purely subjective view.
>
>yep.  on your watch.  the buck stops.

If one were a dictator with a board that I tell turn left and all 9 members do so I would fully agree with you on the above.  However the reality is different but then again as said you are not furnished with all the information so your subjective comment above is valid from your point of view and I respect it.

>> Just like many others I have a vested interest in the good of the
>> community and will try my best.
>
>we all think we are acting in the best interests of the community.  and
>yet it is possible to disagree.  welcome to the world of funny monkeys.

If we all had the same point of view most of us would be irrelevant. However we need the humility to accept that others can have a different view and thus the need for discussion.  Is that not the foundations of our bottom up system.

Its about understanding each other and the humility to accept when we are wrong.

>>> i am not sure niggling about micro-timing of reports is attacking the
>>> roots of the problem.
>> On the contrary it is the root of the problem.
>
>this is beyond nit picking and borders on anal compulsive.

Once again the world of subjectivity kicks in.  what you see as “anal compulsive” would not be accepted in other RIRs. (let me stop there before we start another thread).

>>> otoh, i do look forward to a thorough audit, governance committee,
>>> etc.
>> We all do.  I hope your patience has the resilience needed for the
>> current modus operandus.
>
>i work with enough community infrastructure organizations to have
>learned far more patience than i or my friends thought was possible.  i
>am sitting at a desk in the ripe/ncc eurocracy (been visiting a lot to
>do research with the gang).  the layers of bureaucracy and decision
>making would boggle your mind.

Nothing new. Same all over the world

>giving all the sniping, back stabbing, and back-seat driving on this
>list, if i was on the board/exec i would be extremely careful and
>cautious with what i published.  this takes time but saves time in the
>long run.

Randy I’m sorry here you are asking us to accept MEDIOCRITY.  Once again with due respect and I have allot of respect for you.  I totally disagree with you on the above.  I believe we can do allot more.  For your information I also work with allot of regional organisations within my region including governments and trust me we have a different paradigm. And are making an impact.

Mediocrity is a choice we should not take and blame bureaucracy NO NO NO.

I refuse to accept.  I’m even shocked that you are taking this stance

Regards