[AFRINIC-Announce] Registration opens for the third AFRINIC IPv6 & RPKI Deployathon of 2023 in Johannesburg

AFRINIC Communication comms at afrinic.net
Fri Aug 25 07:28:05 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

AFRINIC in collaboration with ZA Domain Name Authority (ZADNA) is conducting a Deployathon in Johannesburg from 26 to 28 September 2023.

AFRINIC has less than 1,27 million IPv4 addresses left in its available pool. This, as you can tell, is grossly inadequate to meet Africa’s current IP address needs, making IPv6 the only sustainable way to continue to grow the potential of the Internet in Africa.

In 2018, we designed and organised the world’s first Deployathon as a mechanism to bridge the gap between learning about IPv6 and actually implementing it.

Since its inception we’ve run 18 (e-)Deployathons with 83 organisations from 22 countries participating. They were able to accomplish 204 deployment milestones; among them :

46 valid route6 object
41  address plans in IPAMS
28 validated RPKI ROA objects
22 advertised IPv6 prefix
20 Initial address plan
14 IPv6 prefix PI
11 IPv6-enabled core
7 IPv6 domain objects
7 IPv6 from test VLAN
4 IPv6-enabled DNS
2 IPv6-enabled customer

We invite you to register for the upcoming Deployathon in Johannesburg.

If selected, you will get the same step-by-step guidance, tools, and techniques we have perfected in 18 (e-)Deployathons, and +100 helpdesk calls to help realise your IPv6 deployment project for your organisation.

This is clearly a measurable step forward in accordance with your network change management processes.