[afrinic-discuss] Re: NRO at ITU Telecom World, Hong Kong, China

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Dec 8 13:01:51 SAST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 07:13:44AM +0400,
 Dave Kissoondoyal <dave at isoc-mu.org> wrote
 a message of 55 lines which said:

> The issue is that we, the technical people should have our opinions
> voiced out

As I said, there is no such thing as "the opinions of the technical
people". Except on some technical questions, the technical people have
different opinions on things such as Internet governance, resource
allocation, multilinguism and so forth. They should certainly voice
out their opinions but they cannot do it through an unique
representative since they vary in opinions.

> Nobody can deny that the open and transparent development of the
> Internet has been possible thanks mainly because of the "Technical
> People"

This is probably true of *some* things on the Internet such as the
development of the technical standards through IETF (not that it is
perfect but it is quite open and transparent). It does not apply to
ICANN.