[afrinic-discuss] afrinic discouraging ipv6 ??

Gregory Massel greg at csurf.co.za
Tue May 17 14:31:13 SAST 2005

> for who wants > /32 of IPv6, trhe fees are 18,000$ per year! Is Afrinic
> discouraging the isps in africa to get less than /32? why?

I would be pleasantly surprised if any ISP in the AfriNIC region has
requirement for > /32!

In fact, I only forsee a potential issue if an LIR is sub-allocating, but
even then it is quite likely that downstream ISPs will prefer to get their
own /48 rather than use a sub-allocation of /40 or similar.

The fee does seem quite high though in relation to other RIR's.

I also find that the fee for a /32 is extremely high given that one cannot
easily recover the cost of IPv6 as yet. I see that the initial and first
years fees are waived, however, would suggest that some sort of long-term
discount be effected until IPv6 is used more extensively for commercial
purposes and ISPs are generating revenue off IPv6 services to recover the
cost of addresses.

--Greg