[AfrIPv6-Discuss] Need of help for scaning ipv6 block

Alejandro Acosta alejandroacostaalamo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 04:23:32 UTC 2019

Hello Jordi, Malick

  Jordi, thanks for forwarding this message. Hope my response goes thru
since I'm also subscribe to afripv6.

Malick,

  As Jordi said we are working in a very similar study (actually
probably identical), in this moment I'm happy to tell you we have
everything up & running.

  The take away of Jordi's message and our message in general is that
you need to take a different approach, you can not just scan the full
IPv6 address space; you mentioned nmap however AFAIK nmap does not allow
IPv6 host scanning. As an additional comment many years ago, just for
fun (I was leaning multi threading) I wrote a very short python3 script
for host scanning IPv6 networks [1]:
https://blog.acostasite.com/2014/12/python-script-probably-useless-but.html

  The key part for your project is to identify the recursive resolvers,
you have many ways of doing this, example: you could use the logs of a
DNS authoritative server for a zone.

  Here you will find more information (in English):

https://prensa.lacnic.net/news/en/research/new-lacnic-research-initiative-identifies-open-dns-servers-in-the-region

https://prensa.lacnic.net/news/en/ipv6-en/lacnic-launches-new-service-for-detecting-open-dns-servers-with-ipv6-in-the-region

Our public tester:

https://warp.lacnic.net/dns-open-resolvers-con-ipv6

  We are publishing some results (worldwide, not only LACNIC region):

https://stats.labs.lacnic.net/IPv6/DNSOpenResolver/

  Hope the above helps.

Alejandro,

[1] https://github.com/alejandroacostaalamo/Python3-ipv6hostscanner