[AfrIPv6-Discuss] DNS zone file for your v6 prefix

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Jan 25 08:25:23 UTC 2017

For Forward/Reverse generation, there are a number of alternatives.

1 - In a Hosting environment, I allow the owner of machines to manage,
via a web site, their static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. These are fixed
machines, dynamic IPv6 is switched off and the IPv6 address has a
numerical relationship with the IPv4 address.
If the IPv4 address is 160.124.208.65, then the IPv6 address looks like
2001:42a0:1:208::65
i.e. the four quad equates to the third IPv4 octet (the "network") and
the last parts of the v4 and v6 address also match.
The Reverse is automatically kept up to date for the web managed Database.
Works fine for all static machines, Mail, Web DNS, DB servers and printers.

2 - Where there are other fixed machines, I use the same addressing
principals, obviously creating zone files by hand. This includes
dynamically allocated fixed IP addresses, ie, when I bring my Laptop to
the office, it always gets the same IP addresses via DHCP with a fixed
relationship between the MAC address and the IP address.

3 - for completely dynamic machines - I don't bother doing anything.
Generally, as long as you sort out the Mail, Web DNS, DB servers and
printers (and networking infrastructure) of the world, you are probably OK.

On 24/01/2017 21:41, Willy MANGA wrote:
> Hello ,
> I'm just trying to figure out what could be the best practices in order
> to create DNS zone file for v6 hosts (forward and reverse) ?
>

> For the moment I just insert in my zone file little range that i'm using
> for known hosts. But it doesn't cover temporary addresses .
>
> Was thinking of a way to generate «answers on the fly » but I don't know
> if there's already a solution like that ...
>
> Any advices, recommandations ? :)

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496