[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 at least from tunnel but it works

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 27 06:00:14 UTC 2016

On 26/May/16 16:27, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
> Taking my AFRINIC hat off,
>
> Personally, I think that the greatest danger is not that African ISPs
> will not transition to  IPv6 at some point, but rather that they tend
> to abuse NAT. I see many of our ISPs choosing to implement NAT for
> IPv6 just like they did for IPv4, as that's the mindset.

I think this goes both ways.

I was responding to someone on the FreeBSD mailing list that is
hell-bent on using ULA's for his IPv6 network, likely because his IPv4
network is RFC 1918-based.

A lot of the enterprise scope still believe NAT = security. So I think
we shall see slow uptake of IPv6 in that space until a NAT66 solution is
in place with $favorite_firewall_vendor.

I suppose the thought of assigning your printer a public IPv6 address,
even though it is behind a firewall, is such a foreign concept to many.

At a service provider level, we are struggling to get our customers to
turn-up IPv6, and yet network operations is their bread and butter.

Mark.