[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 at least from tunnel but it works

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:27:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On 26/May/16 15:15, Mathias HOUNGBO wrote:
>
>> Great Work Willy
>>
>> But one big question to you and community, all suggestions are welcome :
>>
>> How can i deploy IPv6 on my local network when my ISP don't provide IPv6
>> network and don"t provide me public IPv4  ?
>
> You can test IPv6 on your network without a provider. You just won't be
> able to talk to the outside world.
>
> If your ISP won't support your requirements, find one that will.
>
> Mark.

Taking my AFRINIC hat off,

Personally, I think that the greatest danger is not that African ISPs
will not transition to  IPv6 at some point, but rather that they tend
to abuse NAT. I see many of our ISPs choosing to implement NAT for
IPv6 just like they did for IPv4, as that's the mindset.

We have one ISP in Mauritius which is selling a 3g-based Internet box
which has a private IPv4 address to SMEs/SOHOs. I can't portforward to
run SSH on that internet connection, and of course doing an IPv6
tunnel is impossible through that box.