[AfrIPv6-Discuss] NAT64 for Dual Stacking!

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Fri May 13 06:14:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 09:06:34AM +0300, Fabian Jr wrote:

> thanks Daniel for your quick repsonse too..
>
> i  said already that i want to do a Dual Stack Setup between IPv6
> subnet and IPv4 Subnet..... to be able to parallel run the two
> versions for sometimes and gradually remove IPv4 ........

Why do you want to remove IPv4?

Dual-stack means the systems run both stacks. What I understand from the
above is you do *not* want dual-stack, but rather to have some subnets
that are single stack ipv4 and others that are single stack ipv6.

But why? What is the goal of that?

> this is possible by enabling NAT64 in the router between the two networks........

If you intent is as above - to have different segments where some are
ipv4 only and others are ipv6 only that can inter-communicate, then yes:
In that case NAT64 is really the only option.

However, NAT64 does not have to be done on a new expensive cisco box.
You can implement that on a linux based gateway on a PC or VM too.

I'm still not sure why you would want to. But you can :)

- Daniel