[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 address management

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Apr 7 08:52:37 UTC 2016

Google Doc ?
That is almost like putting IP addresses in a Spreadsheet?

I have always maintained that the best place to store IP allocation
information is in the appropriate DNS zone files. That is where it is
used and hopefully you only have one authoritative source of information
there.

Whether done by hand ("vi" the zone) or by some web based front end
should make no difference (but not both methods on the same zone).

Some addressing suggestions - "match" the IPv6 addresses to the existing
IPv4 addresses:

  At Posix - I have 160.124.0.0/16 and 2001:42a0::/32

  A network in Pretoria is 160.124.48.0/24 and 2001:42a0:1000:48::/64
  A machine that never moves is 160.124.48.1 and 2001:42a0:1000:48::1

  Laptops (that move) update their reverse DNS automatically - both
  IPv4 and IPv6.

Customer zones are managed by a custom web front end. This allows
checking for conflicts/duplication - etc. Reverse DNS zones are
automatically updated (within 5 minutes) from the same information.
Systems that create Zones check for duplication. Often these systems are
integrated into the Management systems, ie amongst my management
systems, I have a "Hosting", a Customer Access and a Virtual Web
management system. Integrating an 'off the shelf' system could take as
long as writing the system yourself.

ie - Automate what you can first.

If you are using a text editor - keep the zone in (ip address) sorted
order. For IPv6 reverse zones - use $ORIGIN
Use simple scripts,