[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 adoption per country

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Jan 22 11:46:10 UTC 2016

Hi Brice,

Thanks for the feedback.

At 09:38 17-01-2016, Brice ABBA wrote:
>However, some of our members are complaining about the membership fees,
>because we dont want to be an excuse for the fact they don't deploy
>IPv6; we have decided to not the charge IPv6 allocation.

AfriNIC is the most expensive RIR for IPv4 addresses.

>Before and earlier in 2012 our audience in our workshops was made by 3
>kind of people:
>
>-1- Around 40% Never heard about IPv6
>-2- Around 60% Know about IPv6 over some reading
>-3- Around 10% Run an IPv6 network
>
>Today we don't have the -1- group, this is an improvement.

Ok.

>We also have many countries in Africa such as (Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire,
>Djibouti, Mauritanie, Came verde etc.. ) that think about National IPv6
>migration strategy this is another improvement to see that at the
>government level, we think IPv6. People know that they can have very
>good IPv6 training from AFRINIC, this is very important because remember
>that you have to know the foundation of IPv6 before to start any
>implementation.

I recall listening to Nishal explaining the IPv6 address format to
AfriNIC engineers and member services employees. :-)

>We do have many documents that talk about IPv6 implementation but as I
>just said the majority want a plug and play scenario, which is very
>complicated because Countries and Networks are not the same. Howeber
>I'll go for @Stephen and @Latif proposal to create a dicumetn but this
>time this document have to be very technique because remember that they
>are waiting for plug and play scanario....

Instead of many documents that talk about IPv6 implementation I
suggest publishing the details of the implementation of IPv6 at AfriNIC.

There is a Research & New Technology department at AfriNIC.  Has it
done any study to find out what problems are preventing the members
from deploying IPv6?

Regards,
-sm