[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 adoption per country

Brice ABBA brice at afrinic.net
Sun Jan 17 17:38:45 UTC 2016

Hi SM,
> The approach was to give free training and free IPv6 allocations.
Remember that AFRINIC core business is Internet Number Resource
management for its region of service. IPv4 has a successor, IPv6 so its
our role to build capacity and awareness around this protocol and in the
same time encourage them to test and deploy the protocol.

However, some of our members are complaining about the membership fees,
because we dont want to be an excuse for the fact they don't deploy
IPv6; we have decided to not the charge IPv6 allocation.

> Has that produced any results?
Before and earlier in 2012 our audience in our workshops was made by 3
kind of people:

-1- Around 40% Never heard about IPv6
-2- Around 60% Know about IPv6 over some reading
-3- Around 10% Run an IPv6 network

Today we don't have the -1- group, this is an improvement.
We also have many countries in Africa such as (Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire,
Djibouti, Mauritanie, Came verde etc.. ) that think about National IPv6
migration strategy this is another improvement to see that at the
government level, we think IPv6. People know that they can have very
good IPv6 training from AFRINIC, this is very important because remember
that you have to know the foundation of IPv6 before to start any
implementation.

Now why many are still behind when some a moving forward? Because
(A)many are waiting for a plug nad play scenario that will deploy IPv6
like this (--BOOM---) when (B)the other are trying learning from theirs
mistakes etc... This the (B)option we are suggesting (Try and learn from
your mistakes)

We do have many documents that talk about IPv6 implementation but as I
just said the majority want a plug and play scenario, which is very
complicated because Countries and Networks are not the same. Howeber
I'll go for @Stephen and @Latif proposal to create a dicumetn but this
time this document have to be very technique because remember that they
are waiting for plug and play scanario....

PS: One more think AFRINIC doesn't play in the Routing so we are doing
our best to encourage the deployment of IPv6 in Africa

Mr Brice B. ABBA
Trainer, AFRINIC - brice at afrinic.net - +22508607228 - skype: brice.abba
t: +230 403 51 00 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w:www.afrinic.net
facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia