[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 adoption per country

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 08:59:01 UTC 2016

On 15 January 2016 at 20:05, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com>
wrote:

> > 1. NAT and his twin PAT
>
> How does NAT hinder v6 growth? I thought NAT has hindered exhaustion of
> v4, but not uptake of v6.

NAT helps extend the lifespan of IPv4. And while there's some kind of v4
(real or NATed) that seems to work, most network operators short-sightedly
won't see the need for IPv6.

> > 2. Legacy Telecom equipment run software which doesnt support  IPv6
> and/or its costly to upgrade
> >

> This is a very rare occurrence,  but it's true. While upgrading the vast
> University of Nairobi network to v6, I encountered about 8 routers out of
> about 50 that were not v6 ready and the IOS could not be upgraded. There
> were so many software instances that needed updating but that was not an
> emergency since we were dual stacking

Would you be able to write up a case study of your deployment and share
with the community?

- how did you plan your deployment?
- how did you accomplish it?
- what challenges did you meet? and how did you solve them?
- what are the results today? (% of IPv6 traffic to university network?
%hits via IPv6 on university website?)

> > 3. No business case after all 1. above is working so well and money has
> not stopped flowing in.
> >
> Very true.
> ICT admins and CIOs have let us down. There was a good campaign by AFRINIC
> on IPv6 for managers.

We stopped it because we were not quite getting the audience intended for
the course. It will come out again in another form for another run.

It pains me to say, (because I'll just confirm the management consultants
and MBAs) --- without executive buy-in, nothing of significance can be
achieved in any organisation. Not sustainably.

Once you get appropriate management buy-in ...the rest is simple detail
complexity.

I've written at length about it here:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151018_why_ipv6_deployment_is_slow_in_africa_what_to_do_about_it/

--

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran