[afripv6-discuss] First tests with IPv6

Victor Ndonnang ndonnang at nvconsulting.biz
Fri Jul 17 15:06:20 UTC 2015

************
Victor Ndonnang
https://twitter.com/VictorNdonnang
~Sent from my iPhone~

> On Jul 17, 2015, at 10:12, "Nishal Goburdhan" <nishal at controlfreak.co.za> wrote:
>
>> On 17 Jul 2015, at 7:23, Victor Ndonnang wrote:
>>
>> The fact that today we have many ISPs and other organizations in Cameroon with IPv6 blocs (even if they are not effectively use) is a result of a Projet named "Impact IPv6 CM" initiated by ISOC Cameroon Chapter back in 2011. The project was focused on awareness and trainings at the ISPs level.
>
> assigned and unused is not useful to anyone except afrinic, who should be reclaiming the resources, if they’re not used, eh?  in fact, maybe if afrinic threatened to do this, then these v6-dormant organisations might wake up?

I agree. And an end-user's initiative like this one can also help wake them up and preventing them of using the "nobody is asking for IPv6"'s excuse.

>> To answer Nishal's question: "Institut de la Gouvernance Numerique Universitaire" is an institute of the University of Yaounde. It is supposed to be the LIR for all Cameroon universities.
>
> well, it looks like they have one majorly bad assumption.  if this is, indeed, the LIR for the different universities, then, (assuming there is more than one university) i would imagine they need a lot more than a /32 of address space.
>
> i guess it depends on what you describe as an end-site.  i’ve never run a university network, but in my mind, each university should probably have their own /32, from which it allocates to each faculty (perhaps) their own /48.  that seems, to me, to be a lot more realistic.
>
> but that’s my 5c.
> perhaps if you speak directly to the afrinic hostmaster, they can give you additional guidance.
>
> —n.
Cameroon Universities run really small networks per site and I think a /32 is OK for them now. Anyway I guess the technical contact of that LIR is in this mailing list and can talk more about the reasons of their choice.

Thank you for your continuing support and experience sharing.
Best regards,
Victor.