[afripv6-discuss] First tests with IPv6

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Fri Jul 17 14:12:20 UTC 2015

On 17 Jul 2015, at 7:23, Victor Ndonnang wrote:

> The fact that today we have many ISPs and other organizations in
> Cameroon with IPv6 blocs (even if they are not effectively use) is a
> result of a Projet named "Impact IPv6 CM" initiated by ISOC Cameroon
> Chapter back in 2011. The project was focused on awareness and
> trainings at the ISPs level.

assigned and unused is not useful to anyone except afrinic, who should
be reclaiming the resources, if they’re not used, eh?  in fact, maybe
if afrinic threatened to do this, then these v6-dormant organisations
might wake up?

> To answer Nishal's question: "Institut de la Gouvernance Numerique
> Universitaire" is an institute of the University of Yaounde. It is
> supposed to be the LIR for all Cameroon universities.

well, it looks like they have one majorly bad assumption.  if this is,
indeed, the LIR for the different universities, then, (assuming there is
more than one university) i would imagine they need a lot more than a
/32 of address space.

i guess it depends on what you describe as an end-site.  i’ve never
run a university network, but in my mind, each university should
probably have their own /32, from which it allocates to each faculty
(perhaps) their own /48.  that seems, to me, to be a lot more realistic.

but that’s my 5c.
perhaps if you speak directly to the afrinic hostmaster, they can give
you additional guidance.

—n.