[afripv6-discuss] Re: [rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 13 10:43:34 SAST 2014

On Friday, June 13, 2014 10:27:15 AM Nishal Goburdhan wrote:

> hi mark,
> you've mentioned this to me before - which is why i used
> SEACOM.  (i assumed you wouldn't mind)   :-)

Not at all. Happy to be an example for the continent, good
or bad :-).

> the the tongue-in-cheek comment that i was making to noah
> is that it is *not* just about plugging in, and it all
> "Just Works". there's still an incredible amount of work
> to be done to get folks to think about this (IPv6) as
> something that they should do/replicate, as and when,
> they do something in IPv4.  give it whatever name you'd
> like, but this "content" creation process is not
> ubiquitous, and, until it is, there is still a need to
> address that.
>
> some have shown that there has been very nice growth in
> IPv6 content already.  so the natural question to me
> would be: "what's needed to get the mail admin (not just
> yours :-)), or the DNS admin, or ... $whomever, to
> understand that, they should be replicating their
> services?"
>
> 1/5 of the "big" ISPs in my home country has a www AAAA
> record. 1/5 has 1/3 AAAA records for their NS-set.

I agree that it is challenging to always dual-stack your
configurations (services, DNS, peering, PoP deployments,
corporate networks, e.t.c.).

What is even harder is ensuring that your technical teams
(including your customer-facing technical teams like the
NOC) are always thinking and speaking in both IPv4 and IPv6.

At SEACOM, I'm happy to say that we've done some good work
in the past 12x months, and the backend + customer-facing
technical teams always approach every activity with IPv4 and
IPv6 in mind.

It is always easier to get more IPv6 turn-up going when the
whole team believes in it. In my experience, this can't be
done by one person in the organization.

Mark.