[afripv6-discuss] Community involvement (was: AF6TF report for 2012)

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Mar 19 17:39:40 SAST 2013

Hi Hisham,
At 20:34 18-03-2013, Hisham wrote:
>However what I really hope to get feedback on is how get more
>community involvement from all levels of IPv6 knowledge in these activities.

The above has also been a problem for other Internet-related
issues.  Here are some of the subject lines for 2012:

  - IPv6 In South Africa
  - IPv6 news - weekly summary
  - IPv6 Webinar for African operators
  - Successful Conclusion of AFRINIC Training Workshop
  - AFRINIC training programme achieves IPv6 Forum Gold Certification
  - WEEKLY BGP REPORT FOR AfriNIC v6 PREFIXES
  - What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

The only country which had some community involvement IPv6-wise is
South Africa.  There was some involvement for discussions about IPv6
over IPv4.  There wasn't any involvement on the mailing list about
the Webinars.  There was some congratulatory messages on the
certification thread.

Overall, community involvement is a problem.  As the report indicates
there aren't "enough participants to increase the momentum".  My
guess is that there isn't any incentive for people to participate.

A few days ago someone told me that the Internet in Africa is not
relevant.  That's the view from outside the region.  It's
discouraging to hear that and it is even more discouraging to see a
lack of willingness to change that.

Regards,
-sm