[afripv6-discuss] We call it the “Ting’aTing’a” initiative

Hisham Ibrahim hisham at afrinic.net
Thu Feb 21 15:26:10 SAST 2013

> Interesting idea and I think AFRINIC has a program called Tinga-Tinga
> that aims at that (a tunnelling node currently deployed in South Africa).
> I guess Hisham and Nishal who are leading that project can tell the
> list more about it.

As a matter of fact we do,

So some of you may have already heard of AFRINIC's Tinga Tinga project,

Ting’aTing’a is the swahili word for Tunnel.

As part of its Ting’aTing’a initiative, AFRINIC will act as a free tunnel broker to any member in its service region that is interested in testing and experimenting with IPv6.

The end-sites subscribing to the Tunnel Broker will subscribe for a “Testing Phase” connection, meaning the connection will be established for a certain period of time only whereby if the subscriber

exceeds a certain predefined limit of bandwidth, the Tunnel Broker will automatically notify them via email informing him that they have passed the “Testing Phase” limit and that they are encourage to

move into production mode.

A list of the nearest IPv6 capable LIRs/ISPs participating in the Tunnel initiative will be sent to the subscriber so that they could continue getting their IPv6 connectivity from whomever they see fit for the

task on a paid-for basis.

It is important to understand that AFRINIC does not operate a transit network, and therefore cannot provide full-time and/or long-term transit services.

The goal of the local tunnel-broker service is to encourage local use of IPv6 while not being disadvantaged by not having quick access to local markets.

We have a node up in running in ZA, with IPv6 bandwidth donated by Internet Solutions and Neotel, we have a number of tunnels set up and currently managed by Nishal and the tech team at

AFRINIC.

We have a second node now deployed in KE - IXP, that should be up and running soon.

Our Comms team are working on creating a user interface form you can use to request the tunnel of the website, but till then these tunnels can be requested by dropping me an email.

Also if you are interested in partnering in the project by donating IPv6 capable gear, IPv6 bandwidth, hosting faculties to start a Tinga TInga node in your country / sub region, please let e know so that

we can wouk out a deployment plan as well.

Regards
Hisham