[***SPAM***] RE: [afripv6-discuss] What have you done for IPv6 lately, since the 1st of January, 2013?

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 19:36:36 SAST 2013

6rd can be deployed in a user-friendly-enough manner, given the proper
CPEs are used.

These CPEs are bound to be more expensive than the run-of-the-mill cheap
Chinese stuff ISPs usually roll. However, even stopping saying 'we don't
support IPv6' to a 'we do support IPv6 albeit it might cost you X
dollars for the new CPE' would be a giant leap forward.

X is not necessarily a big number. The E1500 I mentioned was sold at
retail at around 160 dollars in Uruguay where everything is _very_
expensive. A large ISP could order them directly in quantities from
Cisco FOB Miami and get much better prices.

I think such a strategy could provide (a) useful deployment experience,
(b) could probably reach 1% of the installed base easily. Those two
would, IMO, be two giant steps forward.

I would gladly work together with people in ISPs who would like to
fine-tune numbers and maybe actually roll-out something.

regards

~Carlos