[afripv6-discuss] What have you done for IPv6 lately, since the 1st of January, 2013?

Guy Antony Halse G.Halse at ru.ac.za
Wed Feb 20 13:18:41 SAST 2013

On Tuesday, 19 February 2013 09:29:11 SM wrote:
> Some other South African universities sites I looked up were also
> IPv4 only.  Note that it is about the same for universities in the U.S.

This will depend on what you look at.  For instance, in our case:

 guy at walrus:~$ host www.ru.ac.za
 www.ru.ac.za is an alias for www-real.ru.ac.za.
 www-real.ru.ac.za has address 146.231.129.7

we still have a v4-only web server.

However we have v6-enabled mail exchangers, MTAs, name servers, and pretty
much everything else *except* web.  We've been doing DNS over IPv6 since
2006/01/24 and mail since 2007/06/10.  All subsequent services, including
other web servers, have been IPv6 enabled.

In our case our primary web service was the last thing we intended to migrate.
We still haven't got there because, with 70,000+ pages maintained by 50+
departments, it is very difficult to understand all the assumptions about
address space that might have been made.

We tried turning on v6 for our web server on World IPv6 Launch Day last year;
it went badly.  We'll get there, hopefully during the course of this year.

The point I'm trying to make is that whilst web services are the most visible,
they're not necessarily the most reliable way to determine IPv6 strategy.

- Guy
--
Manager: Systems, IT Division, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: G.Halse at ru.ac.za   Web: http://mombe.org/   IRC: rm-rf at irc.atrum.org