[afripv6-discuss] What have you done for IPv6 lately, since the 1st of January, 2013?

Hisham Ibrahim hisham at afrinic.net
Tue Feb 19 16:18:56 SAST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 4:07 PM, Carlos M. martinez wrote:

> Hello Hisham,
>
> I firmly believe that the urgency of the situation hasn't permeated
> fully to the upper layers of management.

That is why we started since AFRINIC-15 in 2011 in Cameroon and IPv6 for Managers track.

Non tech high level that starts with what is meant with Internet Number Resources all they way to why you as a manger need to start working on getting IPv6 today.

That track is still offered during the AFRINIC meetings, as well as some trainings (per request).

We also made a spin off of it and called it "IPv6 for decision makers", addressed mainly to governments and regulators.

And while these tracks are highly appraised, I still do not see the change I would have hoped for.

This is why I am asking the list, what do you think is missing? or is it just a matter of time so we just kick back, wait for the v4 space to run out then tell them "we told you so"??

> I'm not sure if they realize that they will have to spend money in the
> next few years, whether they like it or not, be it CGNs or IPv6.

We run a NO NAT module during out INRM trainings, as well as our IPv6 for decision makers.

And again they walk out of the room convinced, NATIVE v6 is the way to go, but still we end up having these catch 22 conversations.