[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Graham Beneke graham at neology.co.za
Mon Jun 4 13:28:34 SAST 2012

On 04/06/2012 00:08, Kivuva wrote:
> Can someone enlighten me why a home may need a /60? Still
> I don't see how we will exhaust v6 in our lifetime even after.

We already see households in Africa running multiple VLANs on a single site.

In some cases this is due to IPTV and media services on their own
network. Home automation systems and appliance management over IP is
also becoming more common. And of course there are some of us who just
like to test the limits of our home networks. :-)

All of the above provide legitimate motivation for multiple IPv6 subnets
assigned to one consumer. Since the minimum size for a subnet is /64 and
it is generally a good idea to subnet at an address character boundary.
That means that we need a minimum of /60 per household - I prefer /56 as
it is more future proof.

Most (all?) RIR policies allow for /48 per end-site so if that works in
your network design then there is no reason not to do this. We need to
put the address scarcity ideas behind us. We have an exciting new
Internet approaching with many unrealised opportunities in our future.

--
Graham Beneke