[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Jun 2 11:21:16 SAST 2012

Hi Mark,
At 01:24 02-06-2012, Mark Tinka wrote:
>Everyone knows that an African ISP seeking IPv6 connectivity
>to Europe is going to lead to the "local traffic global"
>issue, again; and this is inevitable if we don't buck up.

Yes.

During a conversation with vendor X, it was mentioned that some
hardware was donated for an IXP in country Y.  Vendor X then asked
how are things in country Y.  It's easier not to answer such a
question than to say that that country Y was only pushing around 256
Kbits/sec through the IXP.

Sometimes the problem is about money.  Sometimes the problem lies elsewhere.

There is an "ipv6webinar" next week where Sonatel will talk about its
IPv6 experience.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.sonatel.sn.                        IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.sonatel.sn.         259200  IN      AAAA    2001:4278:0:2::2

The above looks ok.  The web server is not accessible over IPv6.  The
IPv6 adoption rate in Senegal is 0%.

Regards,
-sm