[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Jun 2 02:08:50 SAST 2012

At 12:58 01-06-2012, Frank Habicht wrote:
>where's the number from?

It's from Google.  I read it as a rough approximation as I don't know
the methodology.

>i start feeling guilty.

You are guilty of doing good work. :-)

At 13:31 01-06-2012, maina.noah at ipv6.or.tz wrote:
>That is why we are saying, lets practice what we preach...Right??  Mark

The practice part is interesting as we get to know how IPv6 actually
works and identify deployment issues.

>Tinka earlier indicated that most ISP's will announc their v6 to their
>upstream but nothing much will happen at the core/service and we are
>saying we should do just more than announcing the /48 and /32.

It doesn't take much to announce a /32.  If nothing will happen
beyond that it's not a good metric.

>Well we are pushing more for its adoption from the grass-roots...first we
>are also encouraging all down-stream customers with /48 allocation to
>announce them and we want to see more dns and email and even websites
>running v6.

I left out the web site part as it is the part which might generate
users complaints.  It's not difficult.  There are significant
advantages in my opinion.

Regards,
-sm