[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 1 12:31:10 SAST 2012

On Friday, June 01, 2012 10:04:42 AM SM wrote:

> Let's say that you are going to spend EUR 100,000 on
> network equipment.  You only need IPv4 for your network
> as that is what your users require.  You get that
> equipment instead of spending more money for network
> equipment which is IPv6 compliant.
>
> It is plain and simple; you don't have to keep the
> Internet running.  It's your money and your network.
> You get to do what you want.

The issue of whether IPv6 is necessary in the enterprise has
long-been one of differing opinions. But what stands out is
that the enterprise has, by far, the largest challenge re:
moving on to IPv6, because all that software (payroll,
accounting, database, human resource, e.t.c.) either doesn't
support IPv6 today, never will, or will require massive
spend in order to do so.

As the enterprise is mostly a closed circuit, and there
isn't lack of RFC 1918 address space, the case for IPv6
might be less appealing if one is looking at a holistic
deployment. Some enterprises, to claim compliance, simply
turn IPv6 on on the edge router connected to their upstream
- never mind what's going on inside the LAN - done!

But as a service provider, if you want to keep you business
running, I beg you to ignore IPv6 if you're my competitor.

Mark.