[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 1 07:38:52 SAST 2012

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 05:50:21 PM Tafadzwa Kashora
wrote:

> Good Day,
>
> I would like to know the benefits of IPv6 in comparison
> to IPv4. There is an article i was reading that seems to
> suggest there is not much of a difference:

And that's basically right - at its principle, IPv6 isn't at
all different from IPv4 with the exception that IPv6 has
larger address space than IPv4.

This is not to take away from the various "enhancements"
that have gone into IPv6, but to focus on those with a lot
more interest is to misdirect the attention as to why IPv6
needs to be desperately deployed today.

If companies continue to search for the "business case" to
motivate IPv6 deployment, they'll realize, albiet quite
late, that it was always there - and it wasn't fancy
security, or Mobile IPv6, or QoS, or this, or that - it is
that we need to keep the Internet running. Plain and simple.

Mark.