[afripv6-discuss] The African IPv6 Task Force

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Sun Jan 29 20:09:25 SAST 2012

On 29/01/2012 17:22, Mark van Wyk wrote:
> CPE will probably be the biggest stuff up of all! It's also the last
> frontier, and without the customers, there's not much point in IPv6.

I really don't think the CPE situation is quite as dire as that.

I'm using a fairly mainstream broadband router at home and its had
stable (non-BETA) default firmware that's IPv6 capable for over a year.
I also have an IPv6 capable ADSL modem in my lab that I'm testing.

RIPE Labs has been doing ongoing work on surveying the IPv6 CPE
landscape and I don't think that there really is an insufficiency of
capable devices.
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/marco/ipv6-cpe-survey-results-may-2011

If your CPE is not IPv6 capable then perhaps you should think about
changing vendor. The vendors won't change unless you stop buying their
dated equipment. ;-)

> I think it needs it's own category.
>
> On 29 January 2012 16:42, Hisham Ibrahim <hisham at afrinic.net
> <mailto:hisham at afrinic.net>> wrote:
>

>     On Jan 29, 2012, at 6:26 PM, Latif LADID (The New Internet based on
>     IPv6) wrote:
>
>      > We are preparing the CPE Logo Program for launch in March now
>     that the RFC's
>      > on CPE have matured
>      >
>      > http://www.ipv6ready.org/
>      >
>      > First tests http://www.iol.unh.edu/services/testing/ipv6/cerouter.php
>
>     Great news
>     Will that also take into consideration DSLAMs or just the end user
>     CPEs??
>     Hisham

> --
> Mark van Wyk
>

> *Email: *mark at foxbomb.com <mailto:mark at foxbomb.com>
> *Mobile:* 082 831 9227
> *Landline:* 021 789 1427
>
> "Before printing this email, please consider the animals and eat less of
> them"

Graham Beneke
graham at apolix.co.za   | Apolix Internet Services
Tel : +27-87-550-1010 | http://www.apolix.co.za/