[afripv6-discuss] Re: afripv6-discuss Digest, Vol 47, Issue 3

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Jun 21 04:45:40 SAST 2010

On Monday 21 June 2010 12:40:39 am Mark Elkins wrote:

> 1 - how does one configure a dial-up Cisco (eg
>  Cisco-5300) to deliver IPv6 - along with IPv4 (I'm
>  looking for config examples). Of course Dial-up is
>  nearly dead - but I'd still like to do this - allocate a
>  /48 to the device and give /56's to each dial-up -
>  somehow controlled from Freeradius.

The most-talked-about way of doing this (which, I suppose,
is mostly for broadband usage which isn't that different
from how dial-up works, architecturally) is the use of
DHCPv6-PD (prefix delegation).

This feature is supported on a variety of IOS-based systems,
including the AS5350XM and AS5400XM, but not the AS5300.

RFC 3162 defines procedures for disseminating v6 information
via RADIUS, and I believe there are implementations already
in the wild.

As you say, dial-up is dying (dead in some parts), but the
technology is relevant to ADSL and such use-cases. Check out
the following:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/127200

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-
dhcp.html#wp1054045

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-
dhcp.html#wp1055621

We haven't tried any of this since our business is
wholesale, but I believe as a home user, I'll be interested
in this.

In the case of dial-up, smarts would need to be on the
user's PC (unless they have a smart modem, i.e., a router or
some such device) as modems are pretty dumb. ADSL is more
different since those "broadband modems" are much smarter
than their dial-up cousins.

> 2 - how does one on a Cisco do traffic shaping on IPv6
>  services - ie ssh/telnet with a higher priority than
>  other traffic.

QoS features in IOS for IPv6 are present. There are some
very special features which currently have no parity, but
for the most part, you can pull off the same tricks for v6
as you do v4.

In terms of raw traffic policing (which, technically, is
different from shaping), this tends to be protocol agnostic.

Consider the MQC infrastructure.

Cheers,

Mark.