[afripv6-discuss] Re: afripv6-discuss Digest, Vol 47, Issue 3

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Jun 20 17:05:38 SAST 2010

On Sunday 20 June 2010 10:12:14 pm Paul Ikanza wrote:

> Also,
> The reason, I think its overdue is that, realistically,
>  we shall have to migrate to IPv6 in the very short term.

You can probably find this severely repeated if you Google
hard enough, but it's not so much a "migration" as it is an
"integration".

v4 isn't going anywhere (for a while). v6 will live side-by-
side with v4, most likely, for a very, very long time to
come.

>  By global estimates, IPv4 address deplition shall be
>  effective with 18 months...

Depletion will occur "toward" the LIR's, i.e., operators
won't be able to receive any new allocations from the
registries. However, these operators may still have some
free v4 space to hand out to new Internet users for,
perhaps, several months (depends on the rate of user demand
- maybe, as a result of no more v4 space among some
competing operators -, operator size, e.t.c.).

>  or so afterwhich we shall have
>  quite afew service disruptions if there are no proper
>  guidelines in place for equipment vendors for example so
>  we actually need to move quickly on this.

Guidelines to vendors come from us, the customers. We need
to place the socio-economic pressure on our vendors to
provide support for v6 in everything that we're currently
doing with v4.

The IETF and other such standards bodies concerned with IP-
related protocols will continue to develop guidelines on how
features should implement v6 (and how features should be
implemented, period). However, as it is today, there are a
number of v6-related RFC's and/or drafts that the vendors
have not yet implemented, not least of which are for
protocols already well-supported in v4. The pressure for
them to do so has to come from us, the operators/users.

Cheers,

Mark.