[afripv6-discuss] IPv6 Magic --- New from Microsoft --- SecureDirectAccess end to end

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 21 07:33:02 SAST 2009

On Saturday 21 February 2009 01:19:37 pm McTim wrote:

> While it is true that they can use IPSec/VPN or SSL/VPN
> and IPv4 at the moment, I suspect that many do not.
> Certainly, here in UG, the government has been urged to
> get a V4 allocation, but have so far not done so (yet
> AFAIK).

That is not a fault of the technology. How would v6 address
such an issue (no pun intended)?

They still have to get their own address space, as well as
install the DirectAccess infrastructure, train their IT and
users on how to use it, get native v6 access, if they can't
get native v6 access, have a transition mechanism setup,
e.t.c.

VPN's transported over v4 or v6 isn't the issue. Sure,
DirectAccess is very interesting and might make our lives
easier, but it doesn't solve any problems today that a
little diligence won't.

So someone walks up to a minister at an ITU meet and goes,
"Oh, so why do you use Yahoo! Mail to talk to your office
back home?" The minister replies, "Oh, because we don't have
IPv6 yet, but it's coming..."

:-).

Cheers,

Mark.