[afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Wed Aug 29 14:56:59 SAST 2007

> On 28 Aug 2007, at 16:53, Vincent Ngundi wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> That's subjective. I agree with Leo, the earlier we start
>> educating operators on the practice, the faster the problem shall
>> peter. We need to announce the /48 prefixes on all the nog lists
>> (and other similar forums) and talk about this new kind of
>> filtering whenever we can (RIR's should take the lead on this and
>> might want to consider including this in their awareness
>> programs). Relaxing policies isn't going to do the community any
>> good; _now or in the long run.
>
> It occurs to me that there are five RIRs and that each RIR
> maintains a separate web page, listing the /8s, /23s and /12s they
> have and the size of allocations and assignments they make from
> those prefixes. I think the formats are slightly different, too. It
> might be helpful to operators if this information was available
> from a single, trusted source in a single, computer readable format.
>
> Do you think that would help network operators when they want to
> build filter lists?

I think one central repository which all the RIR's can update would
be a good way to go. But network operators should be made aware of
this new kind of filtering (and of course this central repository
once in place). It (assigning /48 prefixes) is in the policy, we need
to find an amicable way of implementing the same.

Regards,

-Vincent