[afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Aug 28 18:54:33 SAST 2007

Vincent Ngundi wrote:
> Hi Jordi,
>
> On Aug 28, 2007, at 11:19 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
>> Hi Leo,
>>
>> I see your point. However, I already got similar inputs from some
>> people in
>> ARIN region. This doesn't mean that with the time the situation can
>> change,
>> but the issue is that the policy *today* is not so useful as it
>> should be
>> and didn't help the provision of critical IPv6 services
>
> IMHO, the policy is _very important and this came out clearly during
> the discussions, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten consensus.
Except we made a policy - and now are trying it... ie - we set a policy
without first hand experience.

>> I think operators had been educated to allow /32 or shorter prefixes,
>> and
>> there will be a hard time to re-educate them.
>
> That's subjective. I agree with Leo, the earlier we start educating
> operators on the practice, the faster the problem shall peter. We need
> to announce the /48 prefixes on all the nog lists (and other similar
> forums) and talk about this new kind of filtering whenever we can
> (RIR's should take the lead on this and might want to consider
> including this in their awareness programs). Relaxing policies isn't
> going to do the community any good; _now or in the long run.
I still like the idea that RIR's themselves should use /48's from the
same published "SuperBlocks -for-/48's assignments" - and make it a
criteria that these blocks are reachable from around the world - or any
/32's allocated (or assigned - as in LACNIC) can be withdrawn. This
could be tested from the RIR's own /48. This needs to be done sooner -
whilst the number of IPv6 networks is still small and manageable.
One of the current criteria mentions "how a reasonable plan for making
/48 IPv6 assignments to end sites in the AfriNIC region within twelve
months." Perhaps this can be re-worded a bit stronger to include such a
test?

Remember - we are not trying to allow all /48 prefixes - only those in
the "IPv6 Swamp space"

Question - where on the AfriNIC website does it mention the prefix that
is used for /48 PI assignments?
(For that matter - do other regions have this info published on their
web sites?)

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE